Monday, 3 April 2017

Photo: Identical twin brothers jailed for brutal attack on 15-year-old boy

Twin brothers who were part of a gang of six who stabbed and beat a 15-year-old boy were on Friday, March 31, sentenced to almost ten years in prison.
The six teenagers were found guilty of grievous bodily harm with intent at Inner London Crown Court on Tuesday, 14 February.
Taylor Joseph, 18, of Ewen Crescent, Brixton was jailed on for five years. His twin brother Brandon Joseph, 18, was jailed for four and a half years.

Also on 31 March, two 16-year-old teenage boys - one from Penge, the other from Brixton - were jailed for four years, and a 16-year-old male from Clapham received a two year suspended sentence. A 17-year-old male from Streatham is yet to be sentenced.
On 3 October 2015, police were called to Hardel Walk, SW2 to reports of a stabbing. Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and found a 15-year-old male suffering from multiple stab wounds.
The victim was at a birthday party attended by family members and young children in Hardel Walk and was playing on the street with his friends when they were approached by a large group of youths armed with weapons, some wearing face masks.

Most of the victim's friends ran back into the address, but the victim tried to flee but was chased. The group caught up with him and asked him where he was from before one of the group punched him in the face. The victim ran away again, but he was tripped up and struck with baseball bats, poles and knives whilst on the ground. A driver sounded a car horn and distracted the attackers who then fled.
The victim ran back towards the address he came from, collapsing from his injuries in a stairwell. He was helped by members of the public. The victim suffered stab wounds to his leg, arm and back and sustained a punctured lung, punctured stomach and several other wounds.

He needed two operations and spent ten days in hospital. He required rehabilitative treatment in the months afterwards and still has nerve damage in his shoulder.

Officers immediately started making enquiries in the nearby area and quickly established that a number of weapons had been deposited at a different party being held nearby. Two of the eight knives seized were later found to have the victim's blood on them.

Officers took control of that party and filtered out more than 120 teenagers, and subsequently identified witnesses, CCTV and forensic evidence.

Several people provided police with accounts of what happened and on 9 October 2015, a number of suspects were arrested.

In July 2016, eight people were charged with grievous bodily harm with intent. All were aged between 14 and 16 at the time of the attack. The trial commenced at Inner London Crown Court started on 4 January 2017.

After a six-week trial, on Tuesday, 14 February, six of the suspects were unanimously convicted. DC Danni Wilgoss of Brixton CID said:
"This was a brutal and callous attack that, were it not for the quick actions and expertise of paramedics and the aid from members of the public, could have resulted in the loss of a teenage boy's life.
"Those who carried out this attack did so for no apparent reason other than the victim was in the wrong place at the wrong time. They took shelter in numbers and showed a total disregard for the safety - and life - of the victim.
"An investigation is only ever as good as those who step forward to assist and I want to pay tribute to the witnesses who were extremely brave to provide evidence.
"I also want to pay tribute to the victim who has shown remarkable bravery and tenacity since the incident. His positive attitude is admired by my colleagues and I alike.
"This case demonstrated that the local community will not stand for such violence. It was a painstaking investigation which shows that the Met is committed to vigorously pursuing anyone who commit such act"

Source: Metropolitan Police

No comments: